“Data is Critical at a Time Like This”: Matthew Godfrey – Show Notes
- Name: Adam Stoker
- Position: Co-founder and CEO of Relic Agency
- Favorite Destination: Fiji
- Dream Destination: New Zealand
- Name: Matthew Godfrey
- Position: President of See Source
- Favorite Destination: Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland
- Dream Destination: Israel
“Data is Critical at a Time Like This” – Show Notes and Highlights
- Matthew Godfrey worked in high-tech early on in his career.
- He lived in Ogden, Utah which was undergoing a lot of community struggle, a decaying downtown, a lack of well-paying jobs and crime was on the rise.
- At 28 years old, Matthew made the decision to run for Mayor in hopes to help improve his city.
- While Mayor, Matthew and his team were able to raise about $1.2 billion of investment for Ogden. They recruited 6,000 jobs and redeveloped 160 acres of downtown.
- Tourism was his main pillar for achieving many of these results.
- Once he left the political office, Matthew was asked to help other cities so he began his consulting company, Better City, the parent company to See Source which is the data-side of what Better City does.
- Better City focuses on economic development consulting. Matthew saw a need for more data-driven points which lead led him to branch out and create See Source.
- See Source specifically focuses on the tourism industry and it’s driving factor in economic growth and development.
- Often, See Source clients are either overly pessimistic or highly optimistic about tourism in their destination. See Source gathers data to either validate or help these destinations understand the reality of their situation.
- See Source utilizes demographic data, basic tourism data, STAR reports, credit card spending data, psychographic data and geolocation data, which is cell phone GPS data.
- All the data points show clients who is coming to their destination, how long they are staying and where they are spending their money. This is key to breaking down consumers into demographic and psychographic groups. The big data See Source delivers provides powerful insight to guide good decisions.
- Currently, See Source has been creating dashboards for states and the federal government to track the devastation happening in the tourism industry right now. The company is tracking data for the decline of visitors, figuring out who isn’t showing up and spending.
- The federal government is using this to help gauge stimulus package assistance and how to help reboot the tourism industry as soon as possible.
- See Source is ready to help any destination look at data and accommodate accordingly for the current decline and plan for the future. They recommend keeping the focus on regional travelers — those within their drive market.
- Right now, See Source is offering reduced prices to CVBs, DMOs and state departments of travel and tourism if they switch or sign up now.
Resources Mentioned in the Podcast